Sunday, April 15, 2012

This site is under construction...

Well... no.  Not really.  Just thought that it was a cute name to give my latest project.

So, I was inspired.  This new kit that SVG Cuts just released is darn too adorable, and made me wanna play with it.  I knew that this was up my son's alley and I HAD to show it to him.   Of course, his reaction was "I wanna have this!" He loves yellow.. anything yellow, so another A HA moment for Thienly... make him one of construction trucks....  Well, the easiest one that I was able to think of was a dump truck.  I'm not attempting to make a bull dozer, or not going anywhere close to a crane truck.

Thus, late last night.. (the usual crafting time for me)... I was making a toy for my 5 yr old son... and kept telling myself what a cool mommy I am... even though I'm yawning and my bed was calling out my name.  I wanted to surprise him in the morning, and I wanted him to be excited about it just like when he saw Mary's version of the truck.

Anyway, here it is!

Photobucket

Cute, isn't it? Clear windows, jewel brads for lights, it was all too fun to make!

Photobucket

Isn't that the cutest dirt you ever saw? I actually wanted to take some rubber mulch from our playground for photos, and my son insisted that that would get it dirty and he didn't want that. So... paper dirt it was! I cut little pieces of paper and scrunched it all up... I must've done couple hundred of these. Here, you can see my labor of love upclose :)

Photobucket

So... you're asking... does this dump truck can actually dump? Yes! The original file had a open box at the base of the truck... I closed up the box, and added another box on top! I had the PERFECT washi tape (black stripe) so I used that to connect the box to the truck.  Whoa! I'm hearing that you wanna try this? Well... I've designed these parts, and you can simply download them to add to your kit! (see below)

See my dump truck unloading...

Photobucket

Whoa - that's a whole lot of dirt!

Photobucket

You know another cool thing about this? The door on one side opens! This one, I just had to cut manually out by hand, but my son loved it! He now wants me to make a paper construction guy to put inside! What have I got myself into? lol...

Photobucket

... and of course, I had to insert a black paper folded into a 'seat' inside.

Speaking of construction sites, you need some signs and pylons. The signs were made just using octagon and rounded triangle from the basic shapes in my software, but the pylons were made from the party hat in this kit. It was just perfect as the sides that flip out was used to adhere to the rounded square base. (This rounded square base is also in the download.) The party hat was cut at 2.730" wide.

Photobucket

So, to make this - I used the new kit: Ryan's Play Date SVG Kit and Jonathan's Bears SVG Collection. I made the truck the recommended size in the PDF, and the tires came from the second kit under the 'Construction Bear' file. The tires were cut at 3.00" (cut 2) and cut a smaller yellow circle and embossed it with Clockworks Cuttlebug folder.

The parts that you'll need to make this is found in this download - Dump Truck Parts.

When you first open the file, ungroup.  The first one should be cut at 2.853" wide by 3.718" high. This is the part needed to cover the open truck of the original file.

The second one is the actual 'dump' box and you'll find that one side will be longer than the rest. Score it at 0.5" and 0.75" from the end which will hang over the truck front. This should be cut at 5.476" wide by 5.307" high.

The last that you'll see there is for the base of the pylons. (Pylon dimensions noted above)

Okay, sorry to make my post long.. but just had to give you more inspiration going back to my past 'construction' ideas...

Here's a party hat that I had made last year... here's the blog post to that project.

Photobucket

...and here's a construction party invite idea, and the post can be found here.

Photobucket

Anyway, hope you enjoyed seeing my little truck. If you ever make one, I'd love to see it...

So... to end this off... guess what my son said. He asked me next to make him a garbage truck. GAHHH!!!

10 comments:

  1. That is so stinkin adorable! I'm sure your son was exstatic when he saw it and also when he saw how functional it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute!!! I love how you were so dedicated and made paper dirt and cones, signs.. So cool! Five stars for you! lol.. You really make me wanna give that file a try now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing and talented!!! Ever since I got SCAL and found Svgcuts you are my favorite person to follow, your projects are out of this world.. Thanks for sharing you give me alot of great inspiration!!!
    Have a blessed day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what Karen above said!! Thienly you are just amazing! I love it. And the "dirt" is just perfect! Makes me wish my son was still little but I actually think he would still find this super cool! Guys love construction trucks cause they never really "grow up". lol I hope you do the garbage truck soon! I see a future gift package I will be sending to my brother and little nephew. :D Thanks again for sharing your creative talent with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, WOW, WOW!! You did am amazing job!! Thanks for the file to add on to the set. I will try this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Great idea to share your past construction projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!!! Love everything about this

    I'm saving for an E~Craft just now can't wait to get and be able to make this kind of creation!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - you did such a great job with this SVG cut file. Bravo!!!! I just got this cut file and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. The possibilities of all those diff truck are endless!!! Thanks for always sharing and inspiring us all. I always look forward to seeing tyour creations using these files!!! Love it soooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails