Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cherry Blossom Challenge at SVGCuts! and I'M hosting it!!! Come join in the fun!

I am proud to say that I'm hosting this month's challenge over at SVGCuts!  and I am soo excited 'cause it's a different kind of challenge - nothing like we ever had, and I feel so connected to the theme of the challenge!

Japan was hit by a massive earthquake and tsunami on March 11, and as a result, they are facing numerous problems including an immense death toll, supply shortages, and radioactive leakage from a nuclear power plant. Having a half-Japanese background, all of my extended family are in Japan and I feel directly connected with this tragedy. Many of you have shown support for Japan and I personally wanted to thank you for that.

So – to remember all the victims whose houses, jobs, family and their lives have been lost, I thought that it would be appropriate for all of us to make a project, with a cherry blossom theme.  These delicate flowers are often associated with Japan and April is the month when they are in full bloom.

Mary has provided us with an AMAZING set of these lovely flowers for you to download for FREE available now at the store (Cherry Blossom Challenge Freebies!)! Create ANY project using any of these pretty flower files, or the cherry blossom branch (Free SVG Download 03.18.11) or any other cherry blossoms that Mary may make in the future (Hint!). You may mix and match any of these files as well.


So - to kick off the challenge, I've created a simple project to show you how beautiful these files are!

I cut the 3D Blossom center (2" wide) and the petals (2.2" wide)...  I also colored the top of the center.svg with dark brown (it's easy to do this before you take the cuts off the mat)


Curled the petals with my fingers... and made another layer on top from Single Blossom bottom (0.57" wide)... (glue gun works the best... don't have to wait for long to dry!)


Cut a rectangle (8.5" X 3.5") and score it vertically on both sides and horizontally on one side at 1" in.  Fold the bottom flap in, and then the two vertical flaps on top of each other. (Used ATG gun for this - works great!)


Cut branch.svg from Cherry Blossom Branch (free SVG 03.18.11) at 2.75" wide.
Assemble it all together, and it's a chopstick slipcase!




Isn't it pretty?

So, now - it's your turn to make something!  Go on over to the forum for detailed contest rules, and click here to get your freebie mini-collection to start cutting!  The contest runs til May 1, 2011. 

Have fun! and can't wait to see everyone's entries!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love your blog post, Thienly! Your project is so cute, and so fun to see the flowers up-close. Thanks for hosting this one, I think it will be a really fun challenge! :) ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always incredibly beautiful my friend. You made chopsticks look perfect! I may even try this challenge...I just know I could never win, but you know how much I love ya and want to show support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Bee in EVERYTHING she said! I will certainly continue to show my support and thank Mary for a wonderful free set to help inspire us and get out craft juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this project looks gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Elements post on Apr. 05, 2011. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chopsticks holders are so cute and cheery!! What a way to bring light and color to a table! :-) I LOVE this challenge. With such files to work with I know we will see gorgeous entries! Now I only need time... LOL ;-)

    (oh my, the word verification tells me I'm a "witch"! LOL)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails